Leading with Learning:
Systemically Transforming Teaching for English Learners
Introducing Leading with Learning
What’s different about WestEd's Leading with Learning?
- Systems Approach: Whole school, cross-school professional learning and scaling and sustaining support for district leadership teams
- Social Justice Focus: Culturally and linguistically sustaining materials and approaches, social and emotional learning principles, intellectual richness for all students
- Teaching and Learning Transformation: English learner-focused teacher professional learning with intensive coursework, coaching, and leadership support
- True Partnership: District staff and WestEd staff co-construct resources and co-facilitate professional learning and leadership meetings
"One of the first keystone pedagogies we learned about was called Sequenced Process for Interactive Reading and Language development (SPIRAL). SPIRAL helped me realize that in order to learn language, students need to do more of the exploring and find out more for themselves."
Check out our downloadable resources. Read our white papers, sample lesson plans and impact reports.
Voices from the Field
“With Leading with Learning we recognize the significant opportunity to have a meaningful impact not only in high need schools but in all of our schools. With district wide scale up as the ultimate goal, we view this approach as the perfect opportunity to expand and improve upon what teachers, principals, training specialists, and district leaders have already begun to put in place.”
– Vanessa Girard, Director of Multilingual Literacy, Sacramento Unified School District